Since 1955 the St. John’s-on-the-Lake Association has sponsored and organized religious services for the diverse and scattered summer islands population of Lake Winnipesaukee.
1927 – 1954
For years 1927 – 1954 St. John’s was operated under the direct sponsorship and supervision of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire. As records of these early services become available the web site will be updated.
1955 – 1959
Poster from first season of Chapel run by the St. John’s-on-the-Lake Association
The chapel was closed from 1960-1961. During this two year period extensive vandalism occurred and coupled by neglected repairs, the chapel and the Association faced a great crisis. In 1962 the Association leadership was reorganized and over the next two years extensive repairs and renovations were made to the chapel and tower. This was also the period when the organ was acquired and replacement bell installed in the tower.
The robust schedule of services held in the summers of 1962 and 1963 are described in detail in a memorandum prepared by John Ripley Forbes, President of the St. John’s-on-the-Lake Association. The document was prepared for the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire as a summary of the Association’s reorganization, fundraising and restoration activities. It is noteworthy that in 1962 only three of the eight Sunday services of worship were Episcopal.